Re: [TCML] High Power Static Gaps

Questions and ramblings to the group:

Besides the advantage that a rotary has in setting the break rate and  phase,
what else does a rotary do to make it more suitable for high power work?  If
the main advantage is the cooling/deionazation provided by rapidly moving the
electrodes through the air, then it seems to make sense that moving the air
over  the electrodes is much simpler and safer. The idea of a triggered static
gap  intrigues me even more because the BPS rate can be changed, with just the
turn  of a knob.

So far, I have only seen and used metals like copper and brass as  the
electrodes in sucker or vortex gaps. Has anyone incorporated tungsten  rod into the
design, maybe mounting a rod axially inside the hollow electrodes,  letting it
protrude slightly out of the ends? It looks like that should  make a better
quenching gap, than one made of softer metals. Also, the mass  and shape of the
electrodes versus heat dissipation would need to optimized. I'm  not sure if
bigger is better here, since surface area/mass ratio plays a big  part in
removing heat. Would it be easier to keep a small or a large electrode  cool?

Keeping the KISS principle in mind, how far can a single static gap be
pushed without exotic cooling methods, using only the motor/turbine with  some
applied aerodynamics and thermodynamics? There are literally millions of  vacuum
cleaner and shop-vac motor/turbines out there already for cheap or  free, and
these seem to be a good choice for both pressure and vacuum.  The noise can be
almost silenced by putting it in a box with some internal  baffles and lining
it with thick felt, fiberglass or other sound absorbing  material. I used to
use these same vacuum motors to build vacuum pumps for  player pianos, and once
the piano started playing, the motor could no  longer be heard.

Has anyone tried a regenerative sucker/vortex gap where the suction side of
the turbine goes to one electrode, and the pressure side to the other? The
electrodes themselves might be fashioned to act like a venturi, drawing in
additional atmospheric air at the spark gap, and then bleeding it off on the
pressure side of the turbine with an adjustable port.  That might increase airflow
and pressure, if cooling didn't become a  problem.

Anyway, just late night thoughts and ramblings, and all comments  appreciated!

Tony Greer
In a message dated 9/8/2008 4:43:35 P.M. Central Daylight Time,