Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 21:30:18 -0500
From: "Bob Arenella" <rja12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TCML] Re: Tar

Hi all,
                     Been lurking here for a good while. This subject
brings
up some questions about an X-Ray transformer that I'm about to put back
together. Typical 125 KV xfmr, core strapped to brackets that are bolted
the cover. I've got new Shell Diala A oil. The xfmr has been out of oil
for
about 1.5 years. I'll assume I can't just put it back together, add oil &
let 'er rip.

                     My questions are: How can I apply vacuum to this
thing
so there are no air pockets in the windings? I don't think the cover will
hold vacuum. Just how much vacuum does one need to accomplish this? I see
some small, inexpensive pumps on eBay that are rated at 3-5 CFM & will
draw
30" Hg. would something like that fill the bill? Would the vacuum pump
used
to service auto AC systems work?

                     A friend suggested heating up the core to about 140 F
&
just lowering it into the much cooler oil. I don't want to ruin this thing

the first time I fire it up. Any & all suggestions greatly appreciated !!

Thank you,
Bob A