Re: [TCML] Is my 10" Tesla Coil Illegal ?

Hello Gary.

Operating a TC is basically illegal, no doubt about it in my opinion.
The only real exception is when you controll your RF emsission
to a point that it meets regulation of your country... which can be hard.
Now, not many coilers really do this and get away with it...
When common sense is used, you can usually get away as long
as you do not upset anybody. If the officials ever show up at
your place after someone complaining, you never know what
will follow, it will be hard to explain to say the least.
Maybe they do not understand what you are doing, which can
make things easier as well as more troublesome.

IMHO, if running your coil messes up som many devices over such
a wide area, I would really not recommend running it, but that
depends on the relationship you have with your neighbours.
But usually theres always that one a...h.. who ruins your day....
BUT, I really wonder, why this is so bad. My coil only makes some
7 foot sparks, but I never set off garage doors, alarms, motinon detectors,
even if they were VERY close. Mabe you should check your grounding.
The contruktion of a TC actually is not very siutable for transmitting, its
just missing a real antenna. But ground current and feedback into mains
ground can make it over quite some distance...
Better check that befor you upset someone, which migh end with
some hefty pricetag regarding fines...

play safe...
regards

Christoph

----- Original Message ----- From: <gary350@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 6:56 PM
Subject: [TCML] Is my 10" Tesla Coil Illegal ?

This time of the year when the air is cold and the humidity is extremely low static electricity is very high I get shocked every time I get IN or OUT of my SUV, take off my jacket or put on my jacket. If I move the blankets in bed at night I see all kinds of sparks. It is perfect for firing up my Tesla Coil and getting some very long sparks. But I worry that this might be illegal. My 10" TC makes 12 foot arcs I can make a 27 ft circle of arcs and sparks in the back yard with the 3 ft top load. It makes every motion detector light and every security alarm system go off in a 4 block radius around my house. After dark I can see motion detectors lights going on/off, on/off, on/off, on/off, on/off, in all directions as far as I can see. My automatic garage door and all the neighbors garage doors are freaked out going up/down, up/down, up/down, up/down, up/down, up/down, over and over. I can hear security alarms in all directions. I road my bicycle through the neighbor hood and I can find alarm systems going off 4 blocks away in several directions from my house. It totally distroys TV and it makes no difference if you have cable, satallite, or antenna TV is totally wiped out all reception for several blocks. I don't fire up my 10" TC very often anymore I worry it might be illegal.