grounding hook was Re: [TCML] Cap Discharge Questions

By the way, the real function of the grounding hook is to make sure that the potential STAYS at ground, even if something happens (like a boneheaded bystander says, "what does this switch do?" and turns on the power supply or plugs it in). You attach it before working on the circuit, and then remove it when you're done. You'd rather blow a fuse from having the output short circuited than turn yourself in to a crispy critter.

Also, never underestimate the chances of someone plugging the wrong plug into the wrong socket. I've done it, fortunately without severely injuring or killing anyone, but it was a near thing (big three phase motor controller with same style plug/receptacle on input and output, and I plugged motor directly into line, rather than controller). TC's tend to get run in darker places and there's often a pile of cords and cables. Someone is working on something else, thinks they are plugging in their gear, and plugs in yours by accident.