[TCML] Baby Conical Coils...

I hate winding conical coils, but I made a few little ones just to play
with. literally, they fit in your hand.
Turned out to be a lot of fun.
Powering them from 3500V 8mA NSTs, .002 mfd caps.  Wound with 34 AWG.  The
discharges are actually cool,
a mix of wispy sparks and effluve around 2" long.

Not at all efficient, mainly from the small cap size needed - this might be
a better project for a  model T coil or ignition coil supply.
(The same transformer with a .01 or .015 mfd cap and a Pancake Coil can give
4" sparks and a 12" effluve).

http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/2012/ConicalFunctional/index.htm

http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/2012/UV3/BabyConical/index.html

Bipolar test, really not as good as single coils.
http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/2012/ConicalFunctional/29August/index.ht

They aren't easy to wind, give me a cylinder or pancake any day!!

One even smaller:
http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/2012/BabyConical/index.htm

Though this one needs < .001 mfd for resonance and that is a bit of a pain.
An old radio tuning cap under oil is my only guess.

Jeff