Re: [TCML] Secondary Coil: Wire Gauge and Number of Turns

Brandon,
     For the secondary, don't worry about wire gauge so much, it is just
one very minor part of the overall system.  Choose it reactively, like I
said before, you should size the secondary to suit the power draw of the
system.  Heavier wire will work just fine I suspect, but by experimentation
the optimal has already been found to be between 1000-1500 turns, this is
accepted as fact.  DC resistance, inductance, self capacitance, all these
things have been factored in in this configuration for a standard TC.  As I
understand it, a magnifier coil is much different and leaves more room for
experimentation; optimal usually means a small inductance and ungodly huge
self capacitance for the secondary (physically huge coil with few turns)
and a huge inductance, and very small self capacitance for the tertiery
(small coil with 1000 turns).  Ok, backing up, we are looking for big
sparks yes?  The single best way to accomplish that is by having optimal
power throughput into the tank capacitor, I would focus all of your
research energy on that and forget about the secondary, you can pretty much
pick a design and go with that, it is super NOT critical unless you make it
too small and it melts, which you are not.  There is no magic design that
leads to better performance, there is just an array of designs that work
well, and they center around 1200 turns.  1000 is not better, 1500 is not
better, 1200 is not better, they all work fine.  If you really want heavier
wire scale the entire coil up, just know that this lowers your resonate
frequency, and you need to make other adjustments to maintain optimal power
draw.  This is where most weak performing designs run into trouble, their
carefully crafted secondaries and poorly designed tank circuits don't match
up, and power draw is limited.  I can all but guarantee using 800 turns
will do absolutely nothing noticeable to your performance, which is
completely independent of secondary size, all the magic, is in the tank
circuit, and getting the secondary perfectly sized and happy to receive
those electrons from the wall.  It is the last parameter, let it choose
it's own size.  My first coil had only 400 turns, and it worked like crap,
because to keep it in tune I had to use a very small capacitor, which drove
my ideal BPS way into impractical range for a static gap.  I only figured
this out when I lashed up an async gap, and reved it WAY up, and got triple
my normal performance for the roughly 4 seconds before the gap blew apart
(FYI, never "lash up" a rotary gap, do the homework and do it correctly so
it doesn't try to kill you).  So yeah, worked great with 400 turns, except
I put my system in an inconvenient balance point with respect to physical
limitations to my tank circuit (particularly the spark gap.)  Anyway
stepping down off of my soap box, don't let me or anybody else tell you
what is best, try it for yourself and see how it goes, but keep in mind why
we say what works and what doesn't, and then you'll be able to make a
truely informed decision, and choose a design that is optimally
satisfactory.  Maybe you'll start a design revolution that uses a special
spark gap and 200 turn coils and performs great, who knows?

Scott Bogard.