[Home][2023 Index] [TCML] Re: Pole Transformer Coil Design Guidance [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Re: Pole Transformer Coil Design Guidance

Hi Amir,
I had a larger spark gap coil, but the principles are the same. On my website there is some informtion about my coil desigm.

https://sthlmteslacoil.se/coil-components.html
https://sthlmteslacoil.se/measurements.html

A 4" coil form is about right for a 5 kW coil but too small for a 10 kW design. You would need 150-200 mm and about 9 mm copper tubing for the primary. .
About 100 nF would be in the ball park for the primary cap. Mind you that the charging circuit is a resonant circuit, if designed right it will charge the cap to nearly double the transformer peak voltage. If not right designed according to the suggestions of Mr Burnett, you will loose much of the available energy and also get a lousy power factor to the power grid.

Use a tesla coil design software like Java TC, and do a simulation in LT Spice for the charging circuit. You can use mine from the website but change the component values.

If you design for a low bps you will need a synchronous spark gap, but for bps of 300 or higher an asynchronous gap will do just as well and be easier to construct.

Good luck,
Jan

Hi all,

I was wondering if I could ask for guidance on a Tesla coil I am working on - I want to make the smallest Tesla coil (primary and secondary) with the supplies I have:

- 10kVA pole transformer (240V/14400V)
- a Lincoln Arc Welder (as a current-limiting ballast for the pole transformer)
- (2) 0.22uf 50kv Maxwell capacitors (could be in series for 0.11uf)
- (2) 0.03uf, 35kv Maxwell capacitors (could be in parallel for 0.06uf)
- Copper Tube Gap Spark Gap
- Async Rotary Spark Gap w/ Black and Decker Motor

If I run the pole transformer with the current-limiting welder set to the lowest setting (ie, 40A), what would be the optimal tank capacitance value to use?

Also, on the lowest setting of the welder, what would be the advised minimum diameter for a secondary coil (ie, would a “4 inch secondary be too small?) and the minimum thickness of a primary coil (ie, would 1/4” copper tubing be too thin)?

Any suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Will report back with photos as I progress!

Thanks!
Amir