Re: Cutting NIB magnets (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 09:15:16 -0500
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Cutting NIB magnets (fwd)

Richard,

A high pressure waterjet or abrasive waterjet cutter should work. Or a
diamond saw used for rock cutting/lapidary work (it cuts slowly and uses
oil-water slurry to keep the blade and specimen cool). The tendency of
the NIB alloy to "rust" may be a problem. There may also be a problem
keeping the highly magnetic debris off the magnet or the blade. I
remember a guy from the junkyard (now called a "metal recycling center")
telling me about the terrible problems they have whenever a NIB magnet
is accidentally processed through the metal shredder. The magnetic
debris is almost impossible to get off the shredder cutters...  :^)

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by Ultrastrong Fields,
Lichtenberg Figures (electrical discharges in acrylic), & Scarce OOP