Re: Water sparks (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 11:46:25 -0600
From: Terrell W. Fritz <terrellf@xxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Water sparks (fwd)

Hi Sean,

The water in the Z-Machine is constantly filtered, purified, deionized,
etc. to keep its electrical reistance as high as possible (the water is
being used as an insulator).  So, your water should be very pure like
distilled water from the grocery.  The more of an insulator it is, the
longer the arcs will travel before being bleed off into the water.

Tou may want to try a small ground for the water too.  Rather than having
say a metal pan, try just a small exposed wire end in the water, that will
further decrease the leakage current of the spark.

It may be interesting to put a large series inductor inline with the cap
too.  that would make the spark have a heavy RF content which may produce
interesting results.

You may also just try a metal pan and salt water to insure that the spark
is very tiny in that case.  With some experimenting, I am sure you will be
able to determine what is best for cool sparks.

Cheers,

	Terry