Re: Water sparks (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 11:05:05 -0600
From: Gomez <gomez@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Water sparks (fwd)

On Monday, August 11, 2003, at 08:26  AM, High Voltage list wrote:

> Original poster: Steven Roys <sroys@xxxxxxxx>

  Whoa!  What?  You have a DC line in your neighborhood?  You have a 1MV
line near your neighborhood??  I thought such things were only used for
long-haul major network balancing tasks.  The highest voltage lines in
North America are supposedly five inter-network load balancing lines,
just air-insulated towers, which run at 750kV / 60Hz.

  As for water insulation, since it so easily ionizes after a voltage
has been placed across it for a short time, I was under the impression
it was only used for pulse work.  I have never heard of high voltage
transmission lines being insulated with water.  I am very, very
skeptical that this is being done, but I'd be interested to be proved
wrong.

> 	I do not mean to start an argument, simply to
> 	suggest why 'pure' (distilled, deionized)
> 	water might make an interesting experiment.

Absolutely agree, when one is using water for pulse transmission line
insulation!

  - Gomez
"Democracy is not something you believe in or a place to hang
your hat, but it's something you do. You participate.  If you
stop doing it, democracy crumbles."   - Abbie Hoffman