Re: Recycled Magnetics II (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 11:09:16 -0800 (PST)
From: humanb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Recycled Magnetics II (fwd)

While diverging from HV, Nitromethane is a good
solvent, but is indeed on the watched list of the
BATFE. It and Ammonium Nitrate produce a rather
effective binary (AKA: Kinepak). Purchasing small
quantities is fine, but don't go down to the race track
and ask for a 5 gallon bucket unless you have a better
answer than ?I?m using it to soak transformers..." It
also can be ordered, and shipped to you via UPS in
gallon quantities for around $40/gal, but hazmat
charges apply. I am sure there are other solvents around
that will work, especially any chlorinated solvents, or
even MEK.

Regards,

David Trimmell

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 11:06:59 -0700 (MST), "High Voltage
list" wrote:

> Original poster: Steven Roys <sroys@xxxxxxxx>

Standard
> Time,
> hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
> Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 07:21:51 -0800
> From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Recycled Magnetics II (fwd)
>
> At my local hobby shop, you can buy gallons of 100%
> nitromethane (for
> blending...)
>
> But, as Ed points out, the usual glow plug fuel is
> 10-20% nitro.  On the
> other hand, the methanol and castor oil may turn out
> be a solvent as
> well..
>
> If you go buying drum lots, the homeland defense folks
> will probably want to
> talk to you.
> IIRC, pure nitromethane is also rather shock
sensitive.