Re: Van de Graaff generator safety question (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 09:46:40 -0700
From: Gomez <gomez@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Van de Graaff generator safety question (fwd)

On Friday, December 26, 2003, at 07:39  AM, High Voltage list wrote:

> [...]

  I think it would be risky for us to judge the safety of a particular
practice
on anecdotal information alone.  People have been hit by lightning and
lived,
others have been hit by lightning and died.  People have been bit by
wall juice
and lived, others have died.  There are simply too many variables where
electrocution
hazards are concerned, to say "this or that is definitely safe or
unsafe".

  If you want my advice, I would go ahead and build it (I mean, hey, I
can't be a
hypocrite here, I am going to build one too, eventually), but plan your
demonstrations
and discharge electrode(s) such that friends, family, pets, antique
electronic
calculators, etc, will not take hits.  Your enemies on the other
hand... :D

  - Gomez

The problem with using bleeding edge technology is that the
blood that winds up on the floor is usually your own.