Re: Van de Graaff generator safety question (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 09:40:32 -0700
From: Gomez <gomez@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Van de Graaff generator safety question (fwd)

On Thursday, December 25, 2003, at 08:13  PM, High Voltage list wrote:

> Original poster: Steven Roys <sroys@xxxxxxxx>

  I have been wondering this too, since I have (on the back burner)
plans to build
a fairly ridiculous Van de Graaff myself.  (24" reentrant sphere, in my
case)

  I have tried to do a bit of research on the effects of short pulse
discharges
on people, but I haven't been able to find any conclusive guidelines,
other than
safety pages which simply say don't come in contact with any high
voltage, period.

  Yes, 7 - 8 Joules is a fair amount of energy to be dumping into the
human body,
and at the 500 - 750 kV you can expect on your terminal, the momentary
current
pulse ought to be ridiculously high.

  I think that, just as with large Tesla coils, the best policy is
simply to
not come in contact with it, and to always provide a grounded discharge
electrode
which is closer to the HV terminal than anything (or anyone) else.

  Obviously, very large VDG's _can_ be demonstrated safely with the
right precautions,
since the Boston Museum of Science has been demonstrating the Round
Hill machine for
years. (without, so far as I have been able to find, any incidents -
does anyone
know of any?  I'd like to hear about them if so!)
http://www.mos.org/sln/toe/toe.html

  - Gomez

Once when told that Apple Computer bought a Cray supercomputer
to simulate their next Apple computer design, Seymour Cray
remarked, "Funny, I am using an Apple to simulate the Cray-3."