Re: Wimshurst machines (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 20:36:32 -0200
From: Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz <acmq@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Wimshurst machines (fwd)

High Voltage list wrote:

>         For brushes in the DiRod generator I built I used thin strips of the
> (very slightly?) conductive plastic used for envelops for
> static-sensitive. Might work for a Wimshurst machine. I suspect less
> friction than the foam, which is quite a bit more conductive.

I used strips of conductive rubber (exactly the material mentioned in
A. D. Moore's book) in my Voss machine:
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/voss2.html
Works well, but if the air is too humid the machine doesn't start. The
same happened when I tried the material in a Wimshurst machine. The
material, however, never breaks. Leaves some black residue, but it's
easy to clean it away.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz