large flybacks and circuit board drivers (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 15:12:35 -0500
From: Dr. Resonance <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: large flybacks and circuit board drivers

Dan McCauley (Tesla List at pupman.com) is fabricating some type of driver boards for these large flyback transformers and will make them available to the Tesla List and HV List.

We're potting up some more flybacks so will have an additional 30 units available in a few weeks.

Primary is 70 turns and sec is 4,200 turns #42 AWG.  They will work continuous at 200 watts and for cap charging duty cycles at 400 watts.  They work terrific in air with a voltage doubler circuit as the xmfr is only providing approx 10.7 kV Erms equivalent.  DC output with doubler is 30 kV DC.  Freq is around 22 KHZ so small caps can be used in the doubler.  We used 4 nF at 40 kV with good results.

These can also be used with the classic dual 2N3055 xsistor switcher circuit by substituting a 14 turn primary CT and a 4 turn CT "tickler" coil.  The mosfet circuit will be much more efficient and not require a cooling fan with a large heatsink on the mosfet.

They work great as minature TC's themselves (lighting up neon tubes, small corona off needle, etc) or after rectifying, as power sources for Cockcroft-Walton voltage multipliers, Van de Graaff spray supplies, Marx impulse generators, etc.

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corporation
E11870 Shadylane Rd.
Baraboo   WI   53913