Re: RF banding effects in vacuum tubes (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 08:07:26 +0930
From: Matthew Smith <matt@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: RF banding effects in vacuum tubes (fwd)

High Voltage list wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm new to the list, so please don't burn me if there's a similar thread in
> action already.
> Anywho, I was wondering if anyone knew of a source of info on the "string of
> pearls", "dotting", or "banding" effect caused by high voltage RF in vacuums
> at moderate pressures.
> If there is no research out there I was thinking of doing some experiments
> with this.

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, this is a
well-documented phenomenon occurring when high voltages (AC or DC) are
passed through a rareified atmosphere.  Various effects have different
names, but a search for one should get you the lot...  One I remember
back from school (and that's a feat!) is Crookes' Dark Space.  Try doing
a Google search:

<http://www.google.com/search?q=crookes+dark+space>

If you have/can lay your hands on the Tinkers' Guild Amateur Scientist
CD, there are a few bits on HV in vacuum, if I remember correctly.

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith
Kadina Business Consultancy