Passivated. Re: Making high voltage diodes (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:10:05 -0400
From: davep <davep@xxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Passivated.   Re: Making high voltage diodes (fwd)

> For my high voltage diodes I usually just make strings
> using the 1 KV ones (and de-rate appropriately).
> Recently I noticed that Digikey's 6 Amp 1KV Silicon and
> glass passivated diodes were cheaper then the others of
> equal specks. Just what are "Silicon and glass
> passivated" diodes? What is meant by the word
> "passivated"?

	Roughly:
	Its a surface treatment of the 'Silicon' to
	improve reliability by sealing it.  (I get phuzzy
	beyond that.  8)>>)  I'm guessing a google
	search might turn up detail, or a semiconductor
	handbook.
	(while devices may _look_ sealed against
	'stray atmosphere' many of them AREN'T.
	Passivation helps here.  May help with
	HV surace effects also...)

	best
	 dwp

...the net of a million lies...
	Vernor Vinge
	-me
...for he has read everything, and written nothing...
	A J Raffles