Re: [hvlist] Really high voltage potting (Potting on the Cheap) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 17:48:59 -0500
From: jwhitmor@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [hvlist] Really high voltage potting (Potting on the Cheap)
    (fwd)

On 8 Sep 2003 at 6:42, High Voltage list wrote:

> Original poster: Steven Roys <sroys@xxxxxxxx>

I use ethylene dichloride solvent and and thicken with plastic dust
from sawing plexiglas. The solvent can cause crazing when trapped.

I' ve seen your equipment (photos), and know that you require perfection,
which I believe will require a solvent free solution.

My best sugestion is to use the UV cure resin that is made for assembling
optics, or the consumer product used for repairing chips in car windshields.
You can get a tube of the windshield repair resin from most auto parts stores
for less than $10 to experiment with on scrap material. For more options,
please go to:

http://www.kemxert.com/prices/prices.html

They have a selection of various viscosity, UV cure resins.

Don't spend money on a UV lamp, (unless you want to), the sun is fine for this.