Re: Choice of Diode (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 20:17:17 -0800
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Choice of Diode (fwd)

Most of the HV switching supplies I've worked with (non-flyback, non
multiplier type) use a series of secondary windings (chosen for the reverse
breakdown voltage of the diodes) each with their own full wave doubler (2
diodes, 2 capacitors), and all the doublers hooked in series.  This means
that any one winding has limited dv/dt, limited voltage, etc.  Since run of
the mill diodes typically are around 1kV, if you put out 20 kV, there would
be 10 windings each putting out 1 kV.

The other scheme is the "TV anode" flyback scheme, where you have pulses
driving a multiplier. The multiplier has really poor regulation (voltage
varies a lot with load), while the multiple windings and diodes has much
better regulation.

The number of turns, number of diodes, and number of capacitors is the same
whether you use one big winding and string the caps and diodes in series, or
break the winding into smaller chunks. The winding divided into smaller
chunks inherently distributes the voltage stresses more evenly  (no worries
about reverse recovery on diodes, capacitor tolerances, etc.)  The only
problem is bringing out more wires from your transformer.