Re: Choice of Diode (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2004 14:34:55 -0500
From: John Keith <jskeith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Choice of Diode (fwd)

Hi Matthew,

   I do not think that microwave oven diodes or caps are suitable . They are
designed for 50/60Hz use and would not work well at SMPS frequencies. A
string of 4 fast-recovery diodes, such as the popular UF4007, is the way to
go. For the cap I would use polypropylene HF caps like those used for MMCs,
which are designed for this purpose. They are commonly available up to
3000V.

   I would also recommend a higher-voltage transistor since limiting the
primary voltage to 60V will probably not  efficiently utilize the
transformer. Most flyback circuits use transistors rated at least 400V, and
on-resistance shouldn't be much of a concern as the current is low in a
TV-type flyback.

   Just my opinion, though. Perhaps others with more experience my
clarify...

John Keith