Re: Lifter with lights (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 04:52:11 +0800
From: Peter Terren <pterren1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Lifter with lights (fwd)

Performance is not necessarily based on height. Once they lift, they will
keep going up limited by the weight of the tethers which is usually small
(cotton thread and very fine wire).  The trick is to keep them stable as the
longer the tether the greater the potential for instability as the free play
in the tether is enough to allow flipping over particularly if there is the
slightest breeze hence indoors is essential if height is the aim.
Unfortunately 3 tethers are still needed as the down force will not keep the
thrust pointed vertically think or correct from a tilted position (with
current technology lifters). For an analogy think of them as a balloon
propelled by the releasing air ie not stable.  A sufficiently long rigid
'tail' might work (think skyrocket) but will have a significant weight
penalty and wouldn't land too well. The HV wires are usually not part of the
tethers as they are often not at ground potential and are not symmetrically
attached to the lifter, so are usually separate for small lifters. People
have tried a rudimentary self correcting system although without benefit.
Cheers
Peter (Tesla Downunder)
http://tesladownunder.iinet.net.au