RE: Van de Graaff generator safety question (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 20:46:04 -0700
From: Terrell Fritz <terrellfone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Van de Graaff generator safety question (fwd)

One could perhaps just use a power belt sander and just grind the whole
thing too.  Belt sanders can be awesome tools in crazy hands %:-))  But
gotta watch the dust with all those odd metals in it...

The waterjet guys here just blasted $500,000 into a new machine that has a
six axis articulating jet.  It could cut the hole while maintaining the jet
at 90 degrees to the surface.  Projects like this give them that big toothy
grin as they contemplate how they will program the beast!!  Water jets has
zero heat, 10mil accuracy, smoothed edges, and only about 2 pounds of force
on the work...  It would probably come right off the machine ready to
install...  30 mil super hard stainless would cut like "air" in that
puppy...  They are pretty cheap, especially on "cool stuff" that they can
brag about doing ;-))  In this case, they could do a little sphere first
and I would just let them keep it for their demo collection.  It would be
perfect to show off the advantages of their new toy!!  Such things make
them real friendly when it comes to price ;-))  I don't have any good
welding contacts, but I try and keep the waterjet folks as close pals these
days ;-))  It would be fun just to give them a "challenge"!!

BTW - If you have never seen a waterjet cutter do it's stuff, it is a "must
see"!!  A 30-mil jet of water with garnet powder added to give it cutting
bite.  The water stream travels at about a mile a second (5 times the speed
of sound!) at 65,000 PSI driven by about 40HP!!!  It can cut 8 inches of
mil grade titanium!!! and everything lesser...  Pretty scary machines to
watch!!  I have used them to cut 6-4 military titanium which is super hard
and accurately cut sorbothane which is super soft...

I do wonder if the sphere has any intrinsic stress in it that would cause
it to distort if cut.  I worry that it may start to squirrel if heat is
used.  Just have to try and see for such questions...  Cutting the sphere
is starting to get almost as much fun as the Van de Graaff generator itself
;-))

Cheers,

         Terry