RE: Van de Graaff generator safety question (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 19:53:08 -0800
From: Dave Halliday <dh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 'High Voltage list' <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Van de Graaff generator safety question (fwd)

Find a welder with a plasma cutter - these puppies use an electrical arc
and a blast of compressed air to make __very__ clean cuts in any ferrous
metal.  The cut line is about 1/8" wide and there is zero spatter.
Great stuff!   The same welder probably could use some computer work or
they may need to have some electrical widget built so the options for
trading are good.

You could help them a lot by prepping the sphere - a lazy susan and make
a plywood disk with a hole cut in it and some double-stick foam tape to
secure the sphere.  Make it such that you only need to walk in there and
the welder only needs to hold the cutter in one place while the sphere
is rotated underneath.  Should only take about 15 minutes max.

Google plasma cutter and you will turn up about 20K entries...