Re: cutting holes in gazing balls Re: Van de Graaff (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 19:00:51 -0000
From: colin.heath4 <colin.heath4@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: cutting holes in gazing balls Re: Van de Graaff (fwd)

hi there,
            the trouble is that the sphere is formed which probarbly work
hardened the stainless a great deal.
although cutting any stainless steel at more than a couple of hundred rpm
will workharden it anyway and it wont cut.
the trick is to cut very slow! and lots of cutting fluid. i have cut 10mm
thick st/st plate with a hss holesaw! just went very slow and loads of lube.
when i finished the saw was only warm.excuse me if im telling you all how to
suck eggs. its just i work with this stuff everyday and thought a bit of
advice might help a few people out.
cheers
colin heath