Re: Van de Graaff generator safety question (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 21:35:28 -0700
From: Terrell Fritz <terrellfone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Van de Graaff generator safety question (fwd)

Hi,

Their old tank is four feet deep of water and they whine that the jet is
eating away at the steel bottom...  In the case of a big sphere, they can
fill it with water to absorb the stream's energy enough after it penetrates
the first surface.  The whole big water filled sphere does have to take a
lot of force over all, but not to bad really...  A really small sphere
would certainly get tricky...  The stream of water has a terrible amount of
energy behind it and it has to go somewhere!!!

This is where the engineers than run these wild machines earn their keep ;-))

Cheers,

         Terry