RE: Van de Graaff generator safety question (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 21:26:00 -0700
From: Terrell Fritz <terrellfone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Van de Graaff generator safety question (fwd)

The belt has to be brought into a "shielded zero charge space" so "it"
seems to be at a much higher potential, so the charge can be drained to the
sphere.  That is why the belt is brought "inside" traditionally.

I nice toroid could probably provide the same effect external to the sphere
too...  But I don't have one and cutting the sphere seems easier in my case.

Cheers,

         Terry