Re: Van de Graaff generator safety question (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 16:27:43 EST
From: Esondrmn@xxxxxxx
To: hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Van de Graaff generator safety question (fwd)

In a message dated 1/7/04 7:32:19 AM Pacific Standard Time, hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx
writes:

> Hi Ed,
>
> They all come from Michael Gordan Ltd. which I think is just down the
> street from your location.  Mirror Balls from Waterscapes that are drop
> shipped from Michael Gordans.
>
> They all have a little hole in them for pressure/manufacturing that I can
> compare the "real" edge too...
>   the Starrett says "darn close" to 0.030...
>
> All from China or India so "cheap" is the name of the game...
>
> Cheers,
>
>          Terry

Terry,

Yes, the place is only maybe 1/2 mile from here.  I agree, the s s material
is thick.  You really have me thinking of building a Van de Graff now.  I have
a small sewing machine motor that I could use.  Have you cut the hole in your
gazing ball yet?  What design criteria have you got figured out so far?  What
diameter form (pvc?) and how long from the base to the bottom of the sphere?

Ed Sonderman