Re: Van de Graaff generator safety question (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 16:58:18 -0800
From: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Van de Graaff generator safety question (fwd)

The brush (wire screen) pickup has to be inside the terminal or else any
sharp edges will leak the charge off.  There is one exception --- a very
large toroid under the sphere which is only 1/2 inch off the pickup.
This
works as the toroid provides shielding.  We have made some this way and
they
work up to around 300 kV but not above.  We ran a 20 inch wide belt at
2,200
RPM.  Toroid was 34 x 8.5 inches.

Dr. Resonance"

	Wow, that's a biggie!  What was the output?  What was the motor size?

Ed