Re: Van de Graaff generator safety question (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 13:42:18 -0800
From: John Pepper <jspepper@xxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Van de Graaff generator safety question (fwd)

Greetings All,

I have recently completed a functioning pumped Van de Graff using a 20"
waterscapes gazing ball.   Using the small tooling hole as a guide I laid out a
circle for the belt/support hole.   A small dremel with a cut off disk and a bit
of patients were used to cut the hole with satisfactory results.  The hardest part
was getting the edge rolled in on the hole.  I managed to get about a 3/4" radius
at best.  I tried making special tools and using heat but that stainless is tough.

For the belt I used 3" yellow caution tape fixed together with scotch tape.
Works just fine and does not generate allot of belt noise.  I would, however,
recommend something larger than the average sewing machine motor (it did not have
enough power and tended to surge).

For best results I strongly recommend using a small HV ionizer power supply
(~7.5kv@2 ma) to pump electrons onto the lower belt pulley.  The lower pulley is a
grounded aluminum pulley covered with vinyl tape and the top pulley is teflon.   I
used a sawtooth comb placed near the top pulley to remove the charge.

Best results to date with pumping are about 18" discharge to a grounded 3/4"
ball.   I have tried the blowdryer trick to remove moisture but with the
polyethylene belt is tends to grow in length and become too slack.

-John