Re: Van de Graaf and 3/4" grounded sphere (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:02:47 -0800
From: John Pepper <jspepper@xxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Van de Graaf and 3/4" grounded sphere (fwd)

High Voltage list wrote:

> Original poster: Steven Roys <sroys@xxxxxxxx>

Greetings,
I have tried a variety of discharge spheres (some of which I purchased in the
garden department of Rite Aid).  The 8" diameter sphere produces VERY loud and
bright sparks but only about 4-5" in length.  I believe that this short spark
length is due to the inability of the main electrode to store enough voltage
without corona leakage.  As I mentioned in a previous email, the sphere has only
a 3/4" radius rolled lip where the support column enters the sphere (not very
oblate).  The ideal shape for the bottom of these terminals should be similar to
one half of a toroid (i.e. maximum radius).

-John