Re: Van de Graaff /Pelletron (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 23:16:59 -0500
From: Charles Brush <cfbrush@xxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Van de Graaff /Pelletron

>"Has anyone here ever tried to build a Van de Graaff with a belt like
>those used by pelletrons?  The belt would not be easy to build, but I
>wonder if there is any sort of a device that uses a chain that could
>be modified with insulated links.  Here's some info on pelletrons for
>anyone interested:
>
>http://www.pelletron.com/charging.htm
>
>Zap!
>
>Charles Brush"

>	I've wondered the same thing.  The Pelletron is a really ingenius
>machine, but making the belts and pulleys would probably be a prodigious
>task.  Maybe hollow balls strung on nylon line?  Why doesn't someone
>with ambition and time try it and report the results?
>
>Ed

Ed,

You know it might not be as difficult as it would first seem.  Take a
look at this photo of a pelletron belt and drive wheel:

http://www.phys.ksu.edu/area/jrm/Resource/Pics/Pelletron/18-LE_DRIVE_&CHAIN_1.jpg

The wheels are easy enough.  Just looking at the belt, I'll bet
copper pipe splicers (available  by the bag at Home Depot) could be
used as the metal links.  What remains would be to find something to
link them up with.  Hmmm.......

Charles Brush