Re: Van de Graaff generator safety question (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 09:21:05 -0800
From: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Van de Graaff generator safety question (fwd)

"Yes, we built one about 12 years ago.  Current increase, as compared to
belt, is approx 1,200%.

This is the principal reason for the Pelletron.  This and smooth voltage
regulation --- the belts produce poor voltage regulation which makes
precision physics nearly impossible.  Precise potentials and currents
are
required to do good accelerator physics.

Dr. Resonance"

Questions"

1. What did you use for the "belt"?  Make it yourself?

2. Was is separately excited?  I assume it must be.

3. Did the increase in driving torque go up as much as the current did?
In other words, was it more efficient?

4. What did you use for pulleys?

Very much interested,

Ed