Re: Van de Graaff generator safety question (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 19:17:18 +1030
From: Matthew Smith <matt@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Van de Graaff generator safety question (fwd)

High Voltage list wrote:
> [...]
OK, we may not have access to SF6, but if we were to use a sealed chamber and a)
dry the air and b) pressurise the container - both of which are easy to achieve
- could we not improve on the situation?

My only concern with this would be that we would have to use a dome rather than
a sphere at the "business end" of the column (assuming that the final electrode
is in free air) otherwise we'd have to use some sort of flange which would give
rise to sharp-ish edges and corona.

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith