Pelletrons, substitutes for SF6 was Re: Van de Graaff generator safety question (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 06:43:44 -0800
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Pelletrons,
     substitutes for SF6 was Re: Van de Graaff generator safety question (fwd)

There are a lot of other gases that aren't as good as SF6, but are dense and
readily available and might work as dielectrics.. CO2 is easy, but not all
that much better.  Freon in one of the many forms might work quite nicely,
but could be expensive.  I think you'd want something that you could run at
atmospheric pressure.