Electrets (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 22:26:59 +1030
From: Matthew Smith <matt@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Electrets

Hi All

Anyone ever tried making electrets from wax, as per the November 1960 Scientific
American 'Amateur Scientist' article?  (I'm not suggesting that I have issues of
SA from that long ago - it's all available on CD now.)

About all I'd be able to get my hands on is DIY candle wax.  (Paraffin wax, I
guess.)  I thought that my 3kV insulation tester may make a suitable power
supply for this.  (It's essentially a Variac and HV transformer.)

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith
Kadina Business Consultancy