Re: Static Discharges from PE etc... (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 13:51:25 -0800
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Static Discharges from PE etc... (fwd)

Similar circumstances occur when moving pellets of material through tubing,
especially if it's done by blowing them. This is where the spark that blows
up the grain or flour silo comes from. A friend who used to work in a bakery
said that they used to get flour explosions when the static dissipation
apparatus failed in the storage silos. Loud and muffled boom, overpressure
vent opens, etc.

I've had first hand experiences with incidental static charging along these
lines, one with a special effect rig that was blowing several cubic meters
of popcorn into a set, another with a machine that pulled and trimmed
lengths of plastic film off a bulk roller. The first generated very
impressive sparks from the blower to ground (or the operator (ouch!)), the
second glowed most impressively in the dark.

Vollrath, and others, have built electrostatic generators using such
techniques as blowing dust.

A friend once wondered if you could do it with steam.  Superheated steam is
a gas (insulating) and you could vent it through a condensing nozzle to form
small particles, which could carry charge, much like a Kelvin water dropper.
He was theorizing that it might be a way to power something floating at a
high voltage, among other things.