Re: Static Discharges from PE etc... (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 17:30:53 -0800
From: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Static Discharges from PE etc... (fwd)

"A friend once wondered if you could do it with steam.  Superheated
steam is
a gas (insulating) and you could vent it through a condensing nozzle to
form
small particles, which could carry charge, much like a Kelvin water
dropper.
He was theorizing that it might be a way to power something floating at
high voltage, among other things."

	Somewhere I have a book with a picture of a rather large ES generator
using steam.  Seems to me it dated back to the 1870's.

	As a kid in the farming belt I often heard the remark that flour mills
always explode sooner or later!  Our local one sure did one afternoon
and killed a couple of guys and showered the block with bricks.

Ed