VSG Belt Drives (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 02:34:04 -0800 (PST)
From: Yurtle Turtle <yurtle_t@xxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: VSG Belt Drives

Instead of buying an expensive belt sander, how about
using an exercise treadmill. I picked up one that has
a variable speed DC motor that runs the belt from 0 to
6 MPH for free! Within a month or two (spring
cleaning), the folks that forked over $500 to >$1,000
for these things will realize that they will never get
used, and they'll start selling them at garage sales
for pennies on the dollar, or sometimes even for free!
I've picked up another type that uses a constant speed
AC motor with a variable diameter pulley arrangement
to control the speed. I like the DC drive better, but
either type has tons of torque, for pulling big people
along, and most of them pull belts that are between
18" and 24" wide.

Adam