Re: Multisection HV terminal (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 00:15:07 -0500
From: Luc Benard <ludev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Multisection HV terminal (fwd)

Hi all,

Here is the update from M. George Vaillacourt this time I used an
automatic translator and some correction from myself.
  and I put the photo discribed in the text at
http://pages.infinit.net/luc2/montage_ht.jpg

Cheers,

Luc

P.S. inner tube and aluminum ventilation pipe were tested by couple of
member of the tesla list with partial success, from what I read and
from my personnal experience polish metal terminal really better
performed at the low level of energy most of us used. As Jim mentioned
recepy for mutisection terminal don't seem to exist, probably only
logical parameter as M. Vaillacourt discribed and trial and error.

Hello Luc,

I had not very well understand your question.  I went on the forum that
you mentioned and I found your
message.  Now, I understand better.

Effectively, you can use small "plates" to make a big sphere.  The
construction is not critical even if a
profile of Rogowski or of Bruce would be ideal.  Any object in forms of
a plate would suit provided that the edge
of the plate is curved and oriented towards the center of the sphere
that must be big compare to the every
plate diameter.  I would recommend pie plates in aluminum of 20 cm to
make a sphere of about 1 meter of
diameter.  The edge on the bottom of the plate has a curvature a little
  too pronounced, this is not
ideal, but that will not have almost any influence if the diameter of
the sphere is rather big.  Any sphere
will begin to discharge if tension attains a critical level.  This is
this  critical level that will be
diminished.  Nevertheless if the sphere is rather big, this level will
not be attained even if the
configuration of the sphere is not perfect.

That would be a lot simpler if one would be to use an inner tube in
inflated rubber rather than a metallic
sphere.  Rubber is semi conducting and that is sufficient to make a
good high électrode tension.  At that very
moment, the form of the électrode is a donut rather than a sphere but
that is almost so good.  I do not
believe that you be in a position to construct a machine operating to a
rather high tension for that to be
worth the penalty to optimize the électrode to the maximum.
Habitually, this is the space lack that does that
one must optimize the form of the électrode.  Otherwise one uses a
BIGGER électrode and that work well.

I send you a photo of a mounting of 1500 kV under rain on which you can
see spheres and metallic donuts.
Certain of the metallic donuts are made with flexible aluminum pipe
used in ventilation, the one used for
gone out of dryer.  you could see also the critical places where unload
them produce themselves.  Without the
watering, this mounting did not unload absolutely.  This photo was
taken in 1978.  In the years 80, we began
using inner tubes for the donuts rather than metallic électrodes
because it was almost so effective but a lot
more economical one.

Good luck,

Georges Vaillancourt