Re: cheap way to test "doorknob" capacitors? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 16:40:28 -0600
From: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: cheap way to test "doorknob" capacitors? (fwd)

Hey,

Im new to the list, but been on the TCML and into HV for years now.

I too just bought a bunch of used doorknobs.  I performed several
tests to make sure they are working.  First was to simply measure
their capacitance.  Second was to apply AC from a NST across them (no
spark gap).  I then tested one to extreme voltages with my CW...
tested 30kv caps to 50kv+.  They held up fine, just that eventually it
arced around the entire capacitor with a loud bang ;-).

Anyway, i think the best test is to get a low current HV DC power
supply and charge them up to their rated voltage, let them sit for
awhile, then discharge them to see how much voltage was left on them
(this will give you an idea of how leaky they might be).

Steve Ward