Re: stopping leakage of mineral oil from wire feedthroughs? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 08:01:46 -0800
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: stopping leakage of mineral oil from wire feedthroughs? (fwd)

If your container is polyethylene, nothing will stick well enough to seal
against mineral oil. There are pretreatments you can use on PE, but they're
tedious, and don't always work the first time. You can weld PE fittings.
Why not use "Liquid Tite" type conduit fittings if you must.

The other thing to think about is to run all your wires out through the lid
of the container, with the circuitry hanging from the lid.  That way the
bottom is just a seamless/holeless tank.  You might have a PE container with
non-PE lid and a gasket that will seal well enough.

Although, I heartily agree with Kristian.... metal box & epoxy is really the
way to go.

And, of course, ALL oil insulated equipment leaks a little.  The temperature
and atmospheric pressure changes cause it to "breathe" and ooze out the oil.
Except, perhaps, welded metal cans with a crimped seal (like oil insulated
capacitors).