thanks for mineral oil leakage and doorknob test responses (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 11:11:25 -0500
From: Jack Vandam <snotoir7674g@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>, hvlist <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: thanks for mineral oil leakage and doorknob test responses

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all the responses to both my doorknob test question and this one
about mineral oil leakage.

In the former case of the doorknobs, I did try coupling one up to a NST with
spark gap in parallel, as one person suggested.  However, I really couldn't
tell much difference, maybe due to the low capacitance of each cap of only
500 pF each.  The one I tested did seem to hold a charge though as I was
zapped when unhooking it later.

With the mineral oil, the reapplication of generous amounts of silicone
around each wire exit appears to have done the trick this time as no oil is
leaking.  If I had done this again, and still might, a simple solution might
be to simply pass a bare wire through the container, without insulation, and
then silicone around the outside exit just before the insulation starts.
Another simple thing would be to simply have all wire exits above the oil
layer.  I'm using hv wire with a rating equal to the KV this project will
generate, so it was just a matter of immersing the transformer core itself
to prevent arcover and other problems.

Thanks again for your suggestions,
Jack