Re: cheap way to test "doorknob" capacitors? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 15:19:10 -0600
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: cheap way to test "doorknob" capacitors? (fwd)

High Voltage list wrote:
> Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 07:12:17 -0700
> From: Gomez Addams <gomez@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: cheap way to test "doorknob" capacitors? (fwd)
>

> On Nov 10, 2004, at 7:14 PM, High Voltage list wrote:
>

>>Original poster: <sroys@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

<SNIP>

Shaun is partially correct, and so is Gomez! HV ceramic capacitors are
considerably more complex than they seem... and all doorknob caps are
not the same.  :^)

There are two major "classes" of ceramic dielectric materials used in
HV ceramic capacitors. Class I ("Temperature Compensated") caps use a
lower "k" Strontium Titanate based dielectric blend, while class II
(and class III) caps use a Barium Titanate based higher "k" blend.
Although class II and III caps have better volumetric efficiency, they
also have a number of undesirable characteristics as well. Vendors use
various mixes of materials and binders to help balance capacitance,
dielectric loss, and stability versus temperature, voltage and
frequency to better match intended applications. Generally, DC rated
and low pulse duty caps will use a class II/III dielectric, while more
demanding RF and pulse applications may require a class I dielectric.

Class II/III caps have significantly higher dielectric dissipation
than class I. Their capacitance can change dramatically with respect
to temperature - as much as 70,000 ppm/degree C! Type II/III
capacitors also decline in capacitance over time (aging), and they are
also electrostrictive - the capacitor dielectric element changes
physical size versus applied voltage. These mechanical stresses create
additional body heating in RF applications. Finally, class II/III
dielectrics show a significant decrease in capacitance with increasing
voltage, in some cases decreasing by as much as -80%(!) at full
voltage. For example, see the charts for R6000 and Z5U Type II
materials on page 10 of the following document:
http://www.vishay.com/docs/22071/geninfo.pdf

Some companies supply both Class I and Class II/III HV ceramic
capacitors that physically look identical. For example, Vishay
Cera-Mite makes a Class III 40 kV cap for DC applications (their DK
series) and a Class I 40 kV cap in the same physical package for more
demanding (Tesla Coil, Laser, pulse) applications (their KT series):
http://www.vishay.com/docs/23098/hdhvcaps.pdf

BTW, because of the many problems associated with Class II/III
dielectrics, class I RF Power Capacitors are specified for the most
demanding RF transmitting and induction heating applications, and
higher power units are water cooled. Some examples you might run into
include:
http://www.vishay.com/docs/22087/tosztosw.pdf
http://www.vishay.com/docs/22132/twxfz140.pdf
http://www.highenergycorp.com/download/ceramic3.pdf

Hope this helped,

-- Bert --
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by huge magnetic fields,
Lichtenberg Figures ("Captured Lightning" in acrylic), & Out-of-Print