Re: cheap way to test "doorknob" capacitors? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:13:41 -0700
From: Gomez Addams <gomez@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: cheap way to test "doorknob" capacitors? (fwd)

On Nov 12, 2004, at 8:38 AM, High Voltage list wrote:

> Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 14:40:18 -0600
> From: Shaun Epp <scepp@xxxxxxx>
> To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: cheap way to test "doorknob" capacitors? (fwd)

  I have heard of that phenomenon, but I thought it was something that
occurred only in caps where the plates were free to move a bit, such as
oil-filled paper dielectric DC filter caps.  One would think it
wouldn't happen much in ceramics.  On the very other hand, I just
remembered that barium titanate ceramic is a piezoelectric material!
Which would definitely support your assertion!  I guess getting a good
night's sleep and a cup of coffee helped jog my memory.  :)

  - B(G)L,
	Denver

"I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes
several days attack me at once."
- Ashleigh Brilliant