Re: Coax Cables for High Voltage Transmission (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 23:03:00 -0500
From: Jack Vandam <snotoir7674g@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>, hvlist <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Coax Cables for High Voltage Transmission (fwd)

John, thanks for sharing your info on the hv connectors!  That design may be
just what I have been looking for.  I hope you don't mind if I ask you a
couple of questions:

What diameter and lenth of pvc pipe did you use and does it tightly fit the
polyethylene jacket of the cable?

I see you used sheet pvc for the ends of the insulators.  Could pvc end caps
have been used instead?

Any other info you want to share would be appreciated.  I have a +/-45 KV
metal housed x-ray transformer sitting here for which I would like to access
the high voltage for hobby and other uses.  Right now, it's sealed inside
the case and I have been thinking of making recessed terminals and
connectors so I can have high voltage access.  The insulated pve recesses
would be mounted through holes drilled through the metal chassis.
Connectors/ insulators similar to yours may in fact do the trick.  This
route may be the cheapest method (which is what I seek) and the other
alternative is to remove the transformer and rehouse it in a new container.
Didn't have much with that option until lately when I found some pvc "boxes"
that would work, although they are expensive.

Thanks,
Jack