Re: Tiny Spark Gaps? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 10:44:29 -0400
From: B2 <bensonbd@xxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Tiny Spark Gaps? (fwd)

Hi All,
     Yes with a qualification.  I have used these as spark gaps for a small
Tesla Coil.  They can also protect a transformer.  It depends upon the power
level of the transformer.  You can put several in series (in parallel across
the transformer) to clip the transients coming back from your main spark
gap.  You may need some resistance between the gaps and the transformer, and
between the gaps and the main spark gap of a Tesla Coil.  In addition,
varisters connected directly across the transformer will also improve the
protection of a transformer.  The varisters need to be connected in series
such that they just barely get warm to the touch at the full operating
voltage of the transformer.

     Hippotronics also had another technique that they used to protect their
big transformers used for HV power supplies.  They used spark plugs as spark
gaps across the input leads.  Varisters (VL130LA20) are a better choice
nowdays.  I believe that they were trying to prevent line transients from
entering the prmary.  These can also cause the secondary to exceed safe
operating voltage.

     In summary, use varisters on both sides of your transformer.  Use the
glass spark gaps on the transformer secondary to aid the varisters in
clipping transients.  The glass sparks may require a resistor network to
prevent power arcing.  Experimentation might be in order.  Please cover the
glass spark gaps with heat shrink or something else to contain the
supersonic glass shards that could be ejected should they explode.  A part
number and manufacturer would be useful information for determining their
energy handling capabilities.

Barry