Radar Flybacks (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 08:07:31 +0930
From: Matthew Smith <matt@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Radar Flybacks

Hi All

I have acquired a few Thomson flybacks with voltage multipliers, all potted in
rubber.  I am led to believe that these were spares for radar equipment.

I set one of these up a while back driven by a 555 and a TV line out driver
transistor as part of an electrostatic precipitator that I built.  Initially, I
powered it with 24V, but the inch long arcs between the corona wires and the
plates were not what I had in mind ;-)  I think I ended up putting about 6V into
them and, even then, was getting a bit more ozone that one would want from a
device that is supposed to purify the air in a room.

In addition to the potted units, I have a few "bare" Thomson flyback
transformers which would appear to be the same physical size as what's in the
potted units.  Pretty much the size of an average (older) TV flyback.

Now my questions:

1) Anyone any idea what input and output voltage these would have been designed
for?  I don't know if there is a norm for small radar gear...

2) Would I be OK driving one at 100kHz (integrated switcher), or would the
multiplier diodes be too slow for this?

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith
Kadina Business Consultancy

Outside temperature:  20.1 degrees Celcius.
Wind due West,  9.5km/hr gusting to 12.1km/hr
Temperatures today (avg/max/min):   8.9/ 21.3/  5.2 degrees Celcius.
Max wind speed today 14.6km/hr at 07:40
Precipitation today: 0.000mm