Re: Fluoroscope (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 17:23:30 -0700
From: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Fluoroscope (fwd)

> David Trimmell wrote:
> But does anyone know of a source for the properly doped Zink Sulfide
> phosphors, or strontium aluminate's?
>
> For experimental purposes, you could always (carefully) retrieve the phosphor
> from the inside of a cathode ray tube.
>
> Cheers

	Not all phosphors work very well for fluoroscopy.  I've had good
success using the faceplate of a CRT with a P-7 phosphor (2-component
long persistance used for radar and other "slow" viewing purposes).  Cut
the tube at the faceplate and use it with the phosphor side toward the
source of radiation.  The gadget I'm using was "made" about 50 years ago
and still works in spite of the phosphor having been exposed to air for
all of that time.

Ed