Re: HV Measurement - The Divider Problem (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 22:58:05 +0800
From: Peter Terren <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: HV Measurement - The Divider Problem (fwd)

If you had an open circuit in the chain, then this would explain all your
readings and the demise of your meter.
Was it a 50Hz supply or a flyback because the spiky nature of the latter
will give low rms or standard voltage readings despite the high peak
readings (which is what blows the meter).

In addition your DMM probably has 10M input impedance which is significant
compared with the 33M resistors.

My meter is from my old x-ray unit (with a dial reading of 100 kV full scale
deflection - FSD for 125 uA), I added a resistor chain (720 M Ohm, 72 M Ohm,
7.2 M Ohm, 800 K Ohm) to allow FSD of 100 kV, 10 kV or 1 kV.  The current is
full wave rectified at about 100V level with fast diodes (BYV-29   500 Volt,
9 A, 60nS) and is protected by a gas arrester and diodes across the meter
itself.  A capacitor smoothes the output of the bridge rectifier giving the
ability to read DC and (sort of)peak AC. Voltages up to 1000 V agree with my
digital voltmeter to within around 5% on DC and peak AC 50 Hz.  Peak reading
is about 80kv before arcing over occurs.  On the contrary, capacitative
coupling causes my homemade meter to read 15kV of flyback as 100kV.
http://tesladownunder.iinet.net.au/Other_HV_stuff.htm#Voltmeter

Peter