Re: 500 KV DC (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 23:19:50 +0800
From: Peter Terren <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 500 KV  DC (fwd)

Keep the iron core.  You will need a hefty ballast transformer in series
with the primary though
Try a 2 stage Marx generator if pulsed DC is OK or a 2 stage CW multiplier
if continuous is required..
Don't forget that you need about 6 times the AC rating for a single diode
and capacitor ie 250 kVx 6 = 1.5 MV = 70 x 20 kV diodes.   I hope you have 6
dozen... for just the first stage.  You will need a series resistor to limit
the peak currents if you want to make sparks .  No mean feat with discrete
resistors or you could use water resistors.

Peter
http://tesladownunder.iinet.net.au/Other_HV_stuff.htm#100kV